Working from home surely has its pros and cons, but one of the cons we really find challenging to avoid is sitting in front of the computer for longer hours than our body can handle. Some people also find comfort in working on their beds, couch, or basically anywhere without proper back support. This leads to tightening of the back muscles, and soreness of the lower back. If you’re someone who just doesn’t have extra time to spare for a full massage, we have the solution for you.
Thai massage focuses on improving flexibility, posture, and mobility. And a simple Thai technique called ‘Backbend’ can help you relieve back pain. It is simple, hassle-free, and everything you’ll need can already be found at your house. To get started, find a flat surface, prepare a carpet or a yoga mat for comfort, and ask a buddy to follow these six steps:
1. Have the recipient lay on their stomach on a flat surface, carpeted floor, or bed, making sure their head is resting to the side.
2. Place your knees on your partner’s glutes, one knee on each glute; lay your feet in between your participant’s legs.
3. Place your hands on opposite sides of the spine, starting at the base of the back. Important note: Do not touch the spine.
4. Avoiding pressure directly on the spine, apply gentle pressure on each side of the spine while moving your hands up the spine, ending at the top of the spine, and walking your hands back down to the lower back. Repeat this two to three times.
5. Now that the back is warmed up, using your hands, grab your recipient’s forearms and have them grab yours. Hold on tightly, lean back, and pull your recipient backward with you. You will pull them up into a backbend position, and hold them for 10-15 seconds before gently laying them back down.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 to get the full pleasure of the Thai backbend.
We also have a quick video of this tutorial on our Youtube channel that can guide you and your partner better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMkx0PfefuE
Make sure to pass this info on to someone who might need it! Let’s help each other live a better and pain-free life. ????