Based on an ancient Chinese therapy, reflexology involves the manipulation of specific reflex areas in the foot, hands, and ears that correspond to different parts of the body. This is sometimes referred to as zone therapy. It involves the application of pressure to these reflex zones to stimulate body organs and relieve areas of congestion. The word reflex is defined as an action that is performed as a response to a stimulus, without conscious thought. Thus, in a similar manner as acupressure, reflexology works with the body’s energy flow to maintain balance in physical function and stimulate self-healing.
THE BENEFITS OF REFLEXOLOGY
Reflexology is used to ease physical problems by:
- Reducing pain
- Promoting relaxation
- Stimulating circulation of blood and lymphatic fluids.
- Eliminates toxins from the body
- Stimulates the central nervous system and nerve function
- Helps to prevent migraines
- Helps overcome urinary tract infections
- Speeds up recovery after injuries or surgery * Can ease the treatment effects of various cancers
- Helps to soothe the pains of pregnancy and post labor effects
- Handy in cases where an area of the body is traumatized to the extent that direct manipulation is not preferred.
Reflexology is also especially useful in emotional disorders and stress-related illness.
On an emotional level, reflexology:
- Helps with sleep disorders
- Reduces depression and anxiety
The History of Reflexology
Reflexology is based on ancient therapy, which goes back as far as 4000 BC. We know reflexology is based on ancient Chinese therapy, but evidence has also
been found on reflexology treatment in the tomb of Ankmahor in Egypt from the same era. North American Indians have also been known to have practiced a form of foot therapy for hundreds of years. Needless to say, this form of therapy has stood the test of time and is still used today to help many people with health issues. In fact, various research studies in the U.S. and around the world indicate the benefits of modern reflexology for different conditions.